Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

User avatar
Doe Master
Site Admin
Posts: 4326
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:57 am
Location: Baden , Ontario

Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by Doe Master » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:40 am

Went out yesterday for a good walk of the new properties .
We all ended up with ticks on us .
Be careful everyone .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus

User avatar
Normous
Posts: 6439
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:04 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario.

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by Normous » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:12 am

It has happened to me too. Check yourself carefully.
EXCALFFLICTION Since 1991 ->>------------> 2018
Matrix Blackout 405 & 355 for Her
Kustom Krug Micro 355
Leupold VX-R 2-7 Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family

User avatar
Carnivorous
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:56 pm
Location: Belleriver Ontario

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by Carnivorous » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:18 am

I went scouting and blind building on Sat. No ticks YET!!!

I hate ticks...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of harvest is at hand.

User avatar
robertyb
Posts: 2279
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by robertyb » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 am

Use Permethrin on your clothes. Either the spray you can buy or mix your own. No more ticks.
I just finished a round of antibiotics for a tick bite I got a couple of weeks ago in Georgia. It was freezing the day before I found the tick on me. I had a large rosy ring around the bite two days later and my Doctor put me on the antibotics. I have been spraying my clothes since then.
Wildlife Population Control Specialist

User avatar
JUDGE
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am
Location: AMHERSTBURG ONTARIO

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by JUDGE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 am

Permethrin works great, problem her in Canada is that it is illegal to use.
I still purchase it in the USA and will continue to use it on all my hunting cloths
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243

ch312
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Brantford, Ont

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by ch312 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:50 pm

JUDGE wrote:Permethrin works great, problem her in Canada is that it is illegal to use.
I still purchase it in the USA and will continue to use it on all my hunting cloths
Illegal in Canada for use in products destined to be used on humans, but you can get livestock spray that contains permethrin. Hit up TSC or Amazon.ca...

Good enough for a horse, good enough for me :lol:

colouredchameleon
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: The Land of the Greatest Crossbow Made - Excalibur's Canada

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by colouredchameleon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:40 pm

ch312 wrote:
JUDGE wrote:Permethrin works great, problem her in Canada is that it is illegal to use.
I still purchase it in the USA and will continue to use it on all my hunting cloths
Illegal in Canada for use in products destined to be used on humans, but you can get livestock spray that contains permethrin. Hit up TSC or Amazon.ca...

Good enough for a horse, good enough for me :lol:

Classed as Class 4 Pesticide In Canada.
TSC is required to restrict sale to public.
Must be a registered farm to purchase in Ontario. TSC here in Kingston requires proof of such.
Tried and was refused!

CC

ch312
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Brantford, Ont

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by ch312 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:27 pm

colouredchameleon wrote:
ch312 wrote:
JUDGE wrote:Permethrin works great, problem her in Canada is that it is illegal to use.
I still purchase it in the USA and will continue to use it on all my hunting cloths
Illegal in Canada for use in products destined to be used on humans, but you can get livestock spray that contains permethrin. Hit up TSC or Amazon.ca...

Good enough for a horse, good enough for me :lol:

Classed as Class 4 Pesticide In Canada.
TSC is required to restrict sale to public.
Must be a registered farm to purchase in Ontario. TSC here in Kingston requires proof of such.
Tried and was refused!

CC
Yep, and so is the dusting powder I use on my chickens. Try some smaller stores (horse tack shops, feed stores, etc) and you'll find someone who'll forget to ask for your farm registration number :wink:

sproulman
Posts: 1624
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: PA WILDS AREA

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by sproulman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:41 am

PA is no.1 state for ticks in world.Clinton county is worst..We all have lymes and our dogs too and dogs are getting kidney failure from it and arthritis ...We eat meds like candy now ..Whiskers had 11 on him friday and I had 3 ...Nothing stops them even if you spray..Females are bad ones with red butts in nymph stage..

We are getting heart attacks, locked jaws they call bell palsy,arthristis ,headaches,tired you fall asleep a lot in woods or driving ,blurry eyes,sore knees and elbows ..

Do not wait until you get red circle on your side if you find a tick on you go to doctor and gets the meds..

Now new tick from wisconsin is showing up and their is no signs of that you have Lymes its worst than the tick now..

sproulman
Posts: 1624
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: PA WILDS AREA

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by sproulman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 am

robertyb wrote:Use Permethrin on your clothes. Either the spray you can buy or mix your own. No more ticks.
I just finished a round of antibiotics for a tick bite I got a couple of weeks ago in Georgia. It was freezing the day before I found the tick on me. I had a large rosy ring around the bite two days later and my Doctor put me on the antibotics. I have been spraying my clothes since then.
Sadly you will still have LYMES ...It hides in your brain or behind your kness where meds will not reach it ...My left side of my face locks and I had 3 heart attacks and sore feet ..

User avatar
robertyb
Posts: 2279
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by robertyb » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:36 am

sproulman wrote:
robertyb wrote:Use Permethrin on your clothes. Either the spray you can buy or mix your own. No more ticks.
I just finished a round of antibiotics for a tick bite I got a couple of weeks ago in Georgia. It was freezing the day before I found the tick on me. I had a large rosy ring around the bite two days later and my Doctor put me on the antibotics. I have been spraying my clothes since then.
Sadly you will still have LYMES ...It hides in your brain or behind your kness where meds will not reach it ...My left side of my face locks and I had 3 heart attacks and sore feet ..
No Lyme reported around here. We have had a few cases of Rock Mtn. Spotted fever though.
Wildlife Population Control Specialist

User avatar
ihunt
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:30 am
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by ihunt » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 pm

JUDGE wrote:Permethrin works great, problem her in Canada is that it is illegal to use.
I still purchase it in the USA and will continue to use it on all my hunting cloths
Do you order on line or buy it yourself at a USA store?
Do you declare it at the border and what do they say or do?
Thanks
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers

User avatar
maple
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:50 am
Location: Outside Ottawa, Ont.

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by maple » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 am

I'm just addressing tick bites now. Got one on me from around Belleville last week. The Ottawa Public Health Office says use DEET to deter ticks.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple

User avatar
Minnow
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:32 pm
Location: Stouffville Ontario Canada

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by Minnow » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:02 pm

This is just an observation but I noticed that with the rising numbers of ticks we are also seeing a rising number of opossums, u think theirs a relation?
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender

ch312
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Brantford, Ont

Re: Warning for Southern Ontario turkey hunters

Post by ch312 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 am

Minnow wrote:This is just an observation but I noticed that with the rising numbers of ticks we are also seeing a rising number of opossums, u think theirs a relation?
No idea if they're related, but I did have a pet opossum when I was a kid and it was the coolest pet I have ever had. Even litter trained the little bugger. Basically, it's like having an odd looking cat for a pet.


What's surprising is Canada is just getting on the ball with treating lyme disease. A few stories online of Canadians having to go to the US to get treatment and pay for it themselves. talk about late to the party...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 60 guests